Tymoczko

Tymoczko notes that there is a concern in the translator’s task of divulging the culture of one text across a cultural gap. She claims that there can never be a perfect homology created between the translation and its source text. The translator is required to make choices regarding additions and deletions in order to best present the information so that the target text can fully relate to the material. Tymoczko writes that some of the apparent differences result from the obligatory elements included in one of the languages that do not clearly translate into the other. Other issues arise with the revelation of cultural features that arise in the piece. The translator is then required to decide how best to elaborate on these practices. Typically this requires that the piece be lengthened in its transposition. Although one cannot clearly create equivalence in all aspects of translation, does the post-colonial writer share in this limitation? Or, does this restraint not affect the work of the author because he or she is creating an original piece?

Published by

Kendall Hughes

My name is Kendall Hughes and I am a senior at Bucknell University. I am a Psychology and Sociology major. I have taken French courses since my freshman year of high school. I also lived abroad in Germany for two years. I am interested in translation studies because I would like to further understand culture differences and how language can contribute to a barrier of understanding among people.