Spivak and Appiah

Spivak writes, “In my view, language may be one of many elements that allow us to make sense of things, of ourselves.” This ability to further express one’s thoughts allows for the individual’s creation of an identity. The act of stringing meaningless terms together to form something more complex can be additionally shaped based on the speaker’s gestures and the pauses he or she chooses to incorporate. The author’s argument discusses the obligation to account for culture as a translator. He notes that a translator must exceed in his or her abilities beyond simply being able to converse in the language of the original. If one does not carefully relay the cultural message of the work, then does the piece lose its identity and relevance along with the subject?

Published by

Kendall Hughes

My name is Kendall Hughes and I am a senior at Bucknell University. I am a Psychology and Sociology major. I have taken French courses since my freshman year of high school. I also lived abroad in Germany for two years. I am interested in translation studies because I would like to further understand culture differences and how language can contribute to a barrier of understanding among people.