Schleiermacher

Schleiermacher introduces the two methods of achieving translation as paraphrase and imitation. He argues that the central conflict in translation is whether to focus on preserving the cultural context the author intended in the original text, or to more clearly represent the information in a way that the reader will comprehend while examining the target text. Instead, Schleiermacher suggests that the translator must work as an educator as well when creating the new text so that the original cultural context can remain intact. However, can this truly be achieved amidst an ethnocentric view of society? For example, joking can be viewed as a form of play that is often based on truths of social frameworks. How then can a translator convert this humor that is derived from a difference of values and principles of two groups of people?

Published by

Kendall Hughes

My name is Kendall Hughes and I am a senior at Bucknell University. I am a Psychology and Sociology major. I have taken French courses since my freshman year of high school. I also lived abroad in Germany for two years. I am interested in translation studies because I would like to further understand culture differences and how language can contribute to a barrier of understanding among people.